|New APPG TB report on tackling TB|
In 2010, the All Party Parliamentary Group on Global Tuberculosis issued a ‘call for evidence' to be used for their inquiry into the UK Government's approach to tackling TB around the world.
On the 21st of October 2010, Professor Stephen Gillespie and Dr Geoff Coxon presented evidence on behalf of TBD-UK to a committee that included Baroness Masham of Ilton, Andrew George MP and Mike Smith from the APPG on Global Tuberculosis. This provided an opportunity to emphasise the importance of investment in British science that will be able to deliver new tools including novel anti-tuberculosis drugs.
The results of the APPG inquiry have now been issued in a new report ‘The UK's response to global tuberculosis'. The report can be viewed via this link and makes 5 main recommendations:
1. Develop and promote models of community and patient-centred TB care and control, built around strong health systems; and promote integration of TB control within wider health services
2. Priority investment in research for new tools
3. DFID annual assessment of its contribution towards TB control
4. Coordination of TB advocacy
5. Address HIV-TB co-infection
(Posted 19th April 2011)